Deegawapiya is one of the 16 most sacred pilgrimage locations in Sri Lanka, believed to have received sanctity by Lord Buddha himself when he visited Sri Lanka for the third time accompanied by 500 Arhants.
Built in the 2nd Century BC by King Saddatissa, enshrining the relics of Lord Buddha.
King Kawantissa (father of Kind Saddatissa) was the first to build the Deegawapiya as a temple nearly 50 years before the stupa was built. The stupa received royal sponsorship until the country was colonized by the Portuguese. Nearly 400 years of colonization saw the ruin of the stupa and the monastery. the stupa was rediscovered in 1916 and the site has been renovated and excavated by the Archaeological Department.