One of the five peace pagodas in Sri Lanka.
Built as a world peace initiative launched by Ven. Nichidatsu Fujii, a Japanese Buddhist monk and the founder of Nipponzan Myohoji Buddhist Order. The Japanese Peace Pagoda in Ampara was constructed in 1988 and had withstood the violence which ravaged the Eastern Sri Lanka.
The temple located on the borders of the Ampara tank, consists of a stupa, a shrine room built under the Mahayana influence and a comparatively young Bodhi Tree. The stupa is accompanied by 99 small stupas while the murals in the shrine room are strange to Sri Lankans.
Inspired by his meeting with Mahatma Gandhi in 1931 Fujii decided to devote his life to promoting non-violence and in 1947, he began constructing Peace Pagodas as shrines to World peace.The first Peace Pagodas were in the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki while many others followed in cities Americas, Europe and Asia.
The path leading to the pagoda is also a renowned elephant crossing and the visitors are assured of wild elephant encounters at dawn and dusk.