This important Hindu festival is held over 18 days, culminating with the famous fire walking ceremony. This is a very important ceremony named Theeppallayam in Tamil. Thousands and thousands of devotees will participate on the final night.
The temple was established by a Kandian king named Wimaladharmasooriyan and a sub king named Edirmannasingan between 1594 and 1604.
Travelling time : Between 6 and 8 hours by road, by train to Batticaloa, then bus.
Transport options : Bus or train to Batticaloa then bus to Pandiruppu, Kalmunai.
Famous for: Theeppallayam festival (fire-walking ceremony) one of the three most famous places in the Ampara District. festival features fire walking and many incredible acts of self mutilation by penitents.
Hotels available in Kalmunai Area.
- London Restaurant
- Hotel Superstar
- Hotel S.L.R
- Paradise Holiday Inn
01. Buddangala Buddhist Monastry - 30 Km
02. Deegavapi Buddhist Temple - 30 Km
03. Iginiyagala Tank or Senanayaka Samudra - 40 Km
04. Gal oya National Park - 40 Km
05. Karaitivu Kannaki Amman Temple - 5 Km
06. Karaitivu Siddhanaikkutty Swamy Kovil - 5 Km
07. Mandoor Murugan Temple -10 Km